Jay's Distorted World

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Starting Over

Dear Terrance,

As you read this I hope thoughts of our last vacation getaway comes to mind and not the many fights we have had recently. I hope you can remember being picked up from home on that warm July evening after reading the greeting card I left on the coffee table for you giving you the directions for the night. Do you remember? It simple read, the car will pick you up at 8, just be showered and dressed for bed. You asked the driver several times where I was but I had paid him an extra hundred dollars not to answer any of your questions. When you arrived to the cabin at 10pm, I could only imagine the grin on your face as you tried to figure out what I was up to. When you entered our Villa it was a surprise to you, I sat naked on the coffee table with a greeting card between my legs, no lights on and a fire burning in the fireplace that dimmed the room. I handed you the card that held your instructions for the weekend: Just Ask. We made love on that first level and you didn’t see the gifts I had for you until the next morning. Hopefully you remember those thoughts.

This letter is not a prelude to an erotic weekend like that. Take a second and look around. I took everything that I paid, everything I bought into this house that was not a gift to you. I did you a favor and took away all signs that me and our love ever shared this brownstone with you. That trip was six months ago and like the fire in the fireplace our love has ceased to exist. This letter may seem a little cold and as a shock to your ego, but I guess you will see that being self-centered has its flaws. For the past month I have been taking things out of your house and you haven’t noticed or cared, probably because you were too busy caring for another. Yeah, I know about the other men in your life, I’ve known for months.

You made your first mistake two months ago, you minimized your email to
noclue45@blackplanet.com when you went to the bathroom. Not sure if I was hurt more by your blatant disrespect for me to write that email while I was in the room or the content of the email, I minimized it back and went for my scheduled run. I never forgot. As the days went on you got sloppier and sloppier, numbers were left on the dresser, you began given these boys our house number, so I finally got the hint and realized our relationship was over. You probably don’t care that I’m gone, the kiss on the cheek and I love you I got this morning was just routine, but I’m doing this for me.

I loved what we had, but I’m finished pretending to enjoy being merely a piece of your world. We were supposed to be building a life together, I wasn’t just supposed to be apart of yours. Find yourself another Mr. Terrance Thomas because this one is gone.

Starting New,

Jarrod Jacobs

Terrance laughed as he balled up the paper containing the words of his “Dear John” letter. He glanced around his living room and realized he was only missing some pillows, pictures and decorations on his coffee table and end tables, everything else in the room he had purchased. He laughed at how pity his lover had become when he walked in the kitchen and realized he didn’t have any dishes, utensils or cooking supplies. The kitchen was empty with the exception of the stove and oven which were built into the wall and the refrigerator they had split the cost of. He opened the refrigerator door and it was empty, no food, no drinks, no frost. Jarrod had literally cleaned it out. “I can’t believe this shit, this nigga is crazy.” Terrance took to the steps, two at a time to the master bedroom. A mattress and mirror was all that was left of the $4000 bedroom set they shared. Paintings, lamps, pillows and hangers were no where to be found, he took them all. A note was placed on the mattress for him, Terrance shook his head, “now what?”

By now you see I’m a man of my word. Don’t worry, you will notice everything you brought is still there, hell, I was nice enough to leave a few things I got you. Baby its over and don’t worry about picking up those two suits in the cleaners, I got them.

Love ya, J


Terrance sat and did the only thing he could, he chuckled. Neither of them handled the break up like men, but he realized hurting Jarrod had cost him more than a relationship of six years. Starting over was necessary and definitely would come as a cost.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home