Jay's Distorted World

Monday, September 10, 2007

STATE OF A PEOPLE

I wanted to write a thought provoking post on racism, wanted to bring issues of discrimination and flat out injustice going on in the south to the fore front of my post. But being true to my philosophy on politics and self, I had to look within first. Had to take a step back and look at the greatest injustice in my community, look at the group of people destroying my people and keeping them down.

Over the weekend, an eight year old was shot in the head while in the car with his pregnant cousin and her boyfriend. None of the three people were gang members, drug dealers or armed, but on a street in Newark, NJ they were victims. Victims of a war on common-sense, common decency, respect, unity and community. A war that is being won by the soulless, hopeless residents of a city that is rebuilding around them. The young boy will survive, but these shootings are becoming more common place in Newark, while the city tries to rebuild and become more attractive to the suburbanites who commute to the city or New York for work. Mayor Cory Booker has said all the right things, but talk is cheap. Do not misread what I wrote, I think he is trying his best, but sometimes one man’s best is not enough. It will take parents, neighbors, cousins, uncles, aunts and friends to be accountable for those around them. It will take everyone. My views are sometimes extreme and this is one of those times. Like some law makers, I think its time for military action. Yes, I said it. Dare I re phrase it and say, Marshall Law? Why not? Is that not what we are doing in Iraq? Don’t we have military force there to keep the peace (not saying its working over there)? We are losing our streets and our children to ignorance, time for change. Impose a curfew (yes this will either cut some of our get togethers short or force all of us to spend the night at shawn’s), have armed National Guards strategically stationed throughout the city and install cameras throughout the city. Since the community refuses to “snitch,” or help, let big brother do it. I’m sure my republican readers don’t see too much wrong with this idea.

Before you blast me and say this may be too extreme. I challenge you to come up with a better idea, a workable one. Sure, education, better jobs and drug prevention are keys to the success of a people, but let me sum up the problem with the three. 1. All three will take time to become a staple in our community. What do we do while we try to promote education, develop jobs and teach our people to live without the illegal substances? Should we just continue to wash the blood off the streets and school buildings? 2. The problem is not with the lack of education, lack of jobs and lack of preventive drug education, the problem is us. We under value education, legal employment is more of a punishment as it does not yield immediate gratification. Drugs have become our primary source of income and expense. Blood is being shed over drug territory, drug money and the need for drugs. So as you get your thoughts together and ready yourself for a verbal assault on my opinion, please come with your own idea.

9 Comments:

  • Okay let me get my thoughts together for this one. But ill tell u this, I totally DISAGREE with the whole enforcing curfew bullshit. I love my freedom. Maybe we have a lil too much free will, but armed forces NAH. Their is always another alternative. With that said Ill gather my lil thoughts an repost in the morning.

    By Blogger Promiscuous X, at 8:30 PM  

  • Not to sound like an old southener in the country house debating jim crow laws with the old boys, but why do you deserve freedom when you can't observe/obey the laws of the land and show you don't care for other human life? I mean damn, you couldn't even follow simple instructions. It didn't say react then post your suggestion later, it asked you to think 1st. See, prime example of the problem of a people, failure to think first. (Love u x but had to say it)

    By Blogger Jay, at 5:02 AM  

  • I refuse to comment because they seem to mysteriously get deleted by the blogs administrator. Therefore, I will call you this eve and let you know how I feel about the arguements and suggestions you've raised. Ironically I had this same argument about 3 weeks ago (minus the Martial Law thing of course...).

    By Blogger bLaQ~n~MiLD, at 10:25 AM  

  • I'm not going to go against you Jay. Mostly because I agree with you. I will say is is extreme but at the same time situations and circumstances have gotten extreme! Explain to me one thing that I may have confused. I thought curfew laws only applied to street walkers. as long as you are in a car you was fine! I believe a curfew would help, i was a victim of a curfew back in the day, twice, lol! Dam Rahway for being safe! ummm i say send a copy of this post to Cory Booker!

    By Blogger fuzzy, at 10:45 AM  

  • so are you saying that a state or federal mandate will stop the violence? enacting laws will not make people care more. it will make them fearful and angry.

    those 3 things you mentioned are enough to combat the degradation of societal decency. why do you think that time is so short they should be abandoned?

    it takes 4 years to graduate high school. 4 years (supposedly) to obtain a degree in college. how about a 4 year implementation and routine follow up bys civic and neighborhood leaders to help rid areas of crime?

    unless you have something to lose, you will not fight for more.

    By Blogger yet another black guy, at 11:13 AM  

  • I don't want to abandon those 3 things, but programs that were put forth to combat the educational gaps within the community have all but failed due to a lack of motivation. As a product of the nwk school system, I was afforded the opportunity to be apart of an organization that helped my parents put me in private school and paid for most of college. Unforunately, programs like this lost funding within the community, not for lack of success but due to lack of caring and support. We are up against a culture of immediate gratification, that is out for quick money and quick respect. Giving in to slow forming ideas seems to be losing, time to switch up the pace. Don't misunderstand me, I think education is the key. But how do we get these kids motivated about learning, when the smart kids are called geeks and are terrorized. How do we justify just relying on education to fix the problem and look for an 8 yr goal when pre-k and elementary school are not guaranted. I'm all for rebuilding a strong foundation on education but the decaying foundation that is presently there needs to be taken care of first. Has it gotten that bad that we need militaru action? Ask the 3 college students who were executed this summer or the 3 yr old boy who almost missed his birthday b/c he was shot in the head? Residents should be outraged if a military presence is in their community, they should be so outraged that they should do whatever it takes to eliminate that presence. Scared? Well after the recent massacres that have gone on (reported on the news and unreported), residents should be scared. Acceptance is the new coping mechanism that is allowing things to spiral out of control. But this is just my opinion

    By Blogger Jay, at 12:07 PM  

  • While I think that military action is not the best means, it is a necessary means in worst case scenerios.

    Two days ago somebody got shot a block away from my house. ONE BLOCK. That was ONE BULLET closer to me, my grandmother, my family and friends.

    It will most def get worst before it gets better.
    My radical idea is to create a garden.

    I see my Grandmother over the years take empty lots and create gardens out of them. People have shown her respect in the community. Politicians have listened to her. She even was able to have Corey Booker tear down a vacant building that was up for 20 years. I see her painting the vacant building walls so that it will attract more people. It shows a sense of pride and respect.

    That is what is lacking. You can build all the new houses you want, but all these old ghetto buildings sucks due to lack of beauty and design.

    There have to be more solutions, not just one. It has to be on all levels, and it all comes down to what we think about Newark as a whole.

    But I wouldn't mind seeing a military officer on my street until my grandmother builds the greatest garden!

    By Blogger ShawnQt, at 12:36 PM  

  • The Posse Comitatus act prohibits the use of federal troops for law enforcement purposes. Thats why ole man Noriega in Panama was in fact arrested (for drug trafficking) by a US Marshal after federal troops executed the military mission to take his government and troops DOWN and dragged his ass out of the church he was hiding in.

    The use of a non-federalized state National Guard by the Governor for purely law enforcement purposes or to impose a curfew, in the absence of a riot or declaration of a state of emergency, is probably grounds for armed insurrection by the civilian populace under the state constitution.

    If you want police on every corner in Newark, the taxpayer is gonna have to get off their collective asses and PAY for additional police. And all they are gonna do is drink coffee and write up police reports AFTER something happens.

    The level of violence is a community issue. How have any of you as individuals but members of a community acted to to prevent it>?

    By Blogger ponoono, at 1:18 PM  

  • I feel it starts from the home. Right now, a lot of these teenagers' parents are between 32 and 36. I'm not knocking having a child at an early age, but some of these parents don't know any better themselves.

    You're right Jay, this is a generation of immediate gratification. What's going to make a change is a change in the mind.

    You have to want it and work for it to truly attain it. That's where the satisfaction comes from. But if you were used to getting everything you want with little effort on your end, how can you know about effort and hard work?

    Once the mind changes, people will start to have self-love. Right now, a lot of people are "saturated with self-hatred."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home