Jay's Distorted World

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

random thoughts at work

Ok I'm at work blogging from my phone breaking several company rules right now...ask me if I give a damn. For those of you that don't know I work in a call center for a wireless company that will remain nameless (primarily because they keep changing it) but I work in the offline department. I process bulk request that come in from our corporate accounts. To track our work, we are supposed to keep account of all transactions we make and enter it into this tracking system we have. The system generates how much time it should take to process each transaction and gives us a productivity score. Our score is supposed to be between 94-115%. For the past 5 days mine has been over 150, maxing out at 264% yesterday. I don't fudge my numbers, just a hard worker. So my scores are high, I don't see the fucking problem, but apparently it is. So, me being me, I asked what they wanted me to do since my number is a reflection of the work I'm doing. I was told to lie. What!?!! Even though I think I'm a good liar, this is not something I like doing. Shit, I think I may have told 2 lies this year if that. So I ask, "let me get this straight, you want me to continue to do the work I'm doing, but only put down that I did half of it?" two managers simply told me, "do what you have to to get your number lower." Oh hell no...either I'm getting credit for all the work I'm doing or I'm doing less. This is some bullshit. I'm not playing this game. I know when you work in corporate america you have to play the game, but this is one I won't play (unless it affects my paycheck).

On another note, I plan on posting another post soon. Not sure if its going to be another pleasure principle or a post concerning a bullshit ordinance that cities around the country are trying to push through. Stay tuned. Well I guess I should get back to work since I'm not on break.

8 Comments:

  • LOL thats some bullish! I wouldn't do it either! I wonder what my score would be at my job, especially since I am blogging when I am suppose to be copywriting for this brochure... anywhoo... lunch is almost here, yeah!

    By Blogger ShawnQt, at 9:46 AM  

  • Stand your ground pimpn. Ya bosses are wrong. Y do u have to lower your numbers? If anything they should b rewarding u an happy your getting shit done. I break company policy all day long lol I blog from my desk, cell phone walkn to the bathroom lol. See look I'm blogging from jury duty lol.

    @ ShawnQt Amen for that (lunch) I got chinese

    By Blogger Promiscuous X, at 10:16 AM  

  • Ummmmm simply put...NO! They want my number lower, then I would just be forced to do less. Hmmmmm knowing how these peeps are at my job, I'd follow up with an email stating:

    Per our discussion, I will continue to produce at a rate of 264%, however, I will falsify my tracking sheet by providing a rate of 112%. If there is any other way I can be of assistance to the corporate goals, please let me know.

    Best Regards.


    Of course, I'm actually trying to get my 66.6% and walk out the door so if you're not trying to accomplish this, you might just want to maintain verbal communication. LoL.

    ~Damnit!

    By Blogger bLaQ~n~MiLD, at 11:12 AM  

  • Yea, I am always afraid of traps and when someone tells me to do something that isn't morally correct on the job, I usually ignore it. CYA

    By Blogger Ty, at 3:05 PM  

  • We all should know this game by now. To put it plain and simply... you are making them look bad. Because you are making them look bad the only way to secure their job and status is to bring you in line with everyone else.

    The way to play this game is risky. But what fun is life without a little risk. The way to play it is to continue doing as you are doing. If it gets too hot try to see if you can keep 2 records (I don't know how your system works so it is merely an out of my ass idea) one of your real score and one of a lowered score. Either way do well enough to get noticed by someone higher than your bosses. [Sometimes chance is on your side and you will run into them and build a repor at some point.]

    Play your cards right and this could backfire on your managers and work in your favor.

    But... like I said, it's risky. Your managers may trump up some bogus reason to fire you.

    Am I too scheming?

    Exciting!

    By Blogger Daemian, at 5:06 PM  

  • *Shakin my head* You gotta love corporate politics and bullshit.

    By Blogger Jersey Brotha, at 7:48 PM  

  • Meh... something to do when bored. I'd be the morally ambiguous hero/villain neutral character of an office sitcom.

    By Blogger Daemian, at 12:16 PM  

  • okay... since i'm only an over achiever in the begining of a job until crossed too many times and make it a goal of just achieving to spite management, idk what to tell you...

    what happens if you keep over achieving? what happens if you don't over achieve. I'm just enabling you :-) side joke!

    lemme know what u do...

    By Blogger fuzzy, at 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home