Jay's Distorted World

Saturday, December 23, 2006

My Response

Who am I? When I initially posed the question to myself several days ago I was lost. I searched within myself for the perfect answer, an answer that would be so profound that it would give my life purpose and meaning. I found no such answer, just more questions. I hoped that some of my closest associates and friends would be able to provide some direction to the answer for my own question by answering that simple question for themselves. Unfortunately, I did not discover in them an answer that helped me define who I was. Once again I was left with more questions. How do I define myself?

Some define themselves by their ethnic background. I’m black, white, African, African-American, Chinese, Korean, Irish, Egyptian and so fourth. I simply see myself as American. Now as plain and uncontroversial I thought that was, I have come under attack several times for that label. “You are a race hater. You hate yourself. Why are you denying your heritage,” are just some of the things that have been said as a response to my self classification. I do not label myself as an African-American and that upset some persons within the “black” community. I’m not a sell out and have not been brain washed into disowning my past. However, I embrace both my past, my present and future. Thus, I do not claim to be someone that I am not. I was born in America, so were my parents, their parents, their parents’ parents and a few more parents’ parents. My family can trace back their history into slavery, but nothing further. Should I claim to be of African decent when I could actually be of Cuban decent, or some other country that laid between the path from Africa to America? Since I can trace my roots to America and I know with no doubt in my mind I’m an American, I call myself American. Is that wrong? (Yet another question)

As a homosexual male, I get the feeling that I’m supposed to define myself by my sexuality, wear a sign around my neck that proclaims to the word: I’M GAY!!!! I know this is not who I am. Yes, I am a homosexual male, but that only defines who I choose to be romantically involved with not who I am as a person. I do not feel the need to walk around and draw attention to the fact that I’m attracted to other males. But as I think on it deeper, are those persons who wear their sexuality like their skin closer to finding out who they are than I am? I am a gay man; it’s a fact, but not who I am.

So who am I? Honestly, I no longer know the answer to that question. I realize while writing this that I have been living a lie. Most of who I think I am is nothing more than a front, an image of the person I wish I was. I’m not the fun party animal that I sometime portray myself to be (or at least that’s how I think I’m seen at times), I’m not witty, “hood,” or social able. All those things are characteristics I wished really defined the person within. I force myself to have fun, try to make friends and be the center of attention. These are things I lacked in my childhood and I’m trying to capture them back. But being fun, needing to grasp attention and making friends is more of a job to me than something that comes natural. And like a job, some days I just don’t want to put the front on. I’m rude, I seclude myself from everyone and I’m a down right bore to be around. It is at that very moment I begin to search for who I am. Am I really just a miserable human being that hides behind brutal honesty? When I’m in my non-caring, natural feeling mood, I really don’t care about other people’s feelings. My reasoning for not caring and not being a bad person for not caring is simple, I’m honest.

Now I’m convinced that there is more to me than all of this. Yes everything in the prior paragraph is a part of me, but now the question is, how much of a part of me is it? As I sit and think about who I am, I take comfort in knowing who I’m not. I’m not a liar, I’m not someone who is afraid to admit when they have made a mistake and I’m not afraid to ask for help. Maybe I’m making this too difficult on myself. Maybe who I am really lies in who I am not. Maybe the fact that I stand by my own values and beliefs is who I am. I am my own person. Is that the true answer to who I am?

4 Comments:

  • We have a good idea of who we are...but because we go through altering experiences, our understanding of self changes...

    By Blogger Dubbed As Trent Jackson, at 10:01 AM  

  • I do apologize for not answering this question earlier, but the question has been turn back up over the past week.

    Who Am I?

    A quote plays in my head everytime I ask that question.

    Remember who I am, and create who I want to be.

    Remembering:
    I know that I am a human being with a strong cultural history, that surpasses all races! I know I am a spiritual being that emcompasses all forms of religion. I know I am an intelligent being that has invented all kinds of wonders. With this, I remember who I am.

    Creating:
    With all this, what do I do with it now? How can I continue to uplift GOD's Legacy. Why do I even choose GOD a a center of my exsistence? To me, no matter what happens to me, there will be the idea of GOD. The energy that created me, and the energy that created the universe, is and will always be here. Most people, and I, call this GOD. So with this, what do I do to continue that...

    I realize that most of my life, I have been given things I can't control. I am a man. I am Black. I am short. I can't change these things. Everything else I can change... I can create... I can become anything I want!

    The question really comes up to what do I do with it. What is my moral code. What gifts can I give humanity? What terrors can I unleash? Do I stand still, or move forward? Do I move backwards? It is amazing how much potential a human being has... but most people don't realize it, or just don't care.

    There is so much more to life then Earth, and the Universe is far vast then what we see.

    This question always amazes me. Some people have a simple answer, some have a complex answer, some have no answer. It is like asking, who is GOD... and that question is still in debate. Yet religion is here to explain who GOD is... should we create a religion (or a moral code) that defines US? What if it is already set up for us by destiny and we just fall in line with it? What if there is no destiny, and we make things happen on our own? What if it is both?

    As you can see, this question, I think is a Divine Mystery, and I think the best answer is...

    I am, that I am.

    By Blogger ShawnQt, at 8:20 AM  

  • i know who i am. i am a reader of your blog entry. i know who u are.. u are the writer of the blog entry asking the big question.

    fronts are like clothes, you wear whatever is appropriate for the activities and interactions of the day.

    what you should wear in any situation are your core values. and your faith. and your humanity.

    By Blogger ponoono, at 7:46 PM  

  • i am the reader. you are the wirter asking the big question.

    fronts are like clothes.. you wear what is appropriate for the situation and interaction

    your underwear you ask?? your core values. your faith. your humanity.

    stop agonizing and let the stream of life run over you and set u free

    By Blogger ponoono, at 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home