Jay's Distorted World

Sunday, August 20, 2006

AGE

Age is nothing more than a state of mind. Is that really true? Looking back on time, this past week, I suddenly needed to find out if age was really just a state of mind. On Tuesday, August 15, I turned 26 years old, enter into a new age bracket.

Friday, August 18, I pretended to be 21 years old again. I shook off everything that had happened during the week and decided to just enjoy myself, no matter what. (I know the next section may upset some of you, but I have to tell my story, be honest, upfront and truthful to everyone). The night started with a dinner with my closest friends. I had arranged a dinner with the guys in my life that I consider to be my closest friends, the people I go to in my time of need. So Lyndon and his boyfriend, Mike, Greg and Tony joined ‘A’ and I for dinner at Applebee’s. Dinner actually started earlier than scheduled, so Tony, who showed up 2 minutes late, had to run in the restaurant to catch the waitress so he could order his food. During dinner I tried to engage everyone in conversation, but Mike was mad at me and Tony really didn’t know anyone, so it was a little difficult, but it was cool. Before we ate I expressed my appreciation for them. This group of men have been there through some tough times, put up with my mood swings, dealt with my vices and gave me space when I needed it. We tried to remain serious while I thanked them, but since this is rare for me, we had jokes (lol). After dinner the party started.

It was almost 1 o’clock in the morning and we were sitting in front of the Armory, a hole in the wall bar in Newark, about to relive my early twenties. While waiting for Greg, Mike and Tony to get to the bar, Lyndon’s boyfriend and I decided to get our drink on. I mixed a vitamin water and everclear together and we got ready to party. It took us all of 2 minutes to finish the drink and it was time to party. We walked through the door and immediately I saw a handful of people I knew plus a group of friends I had asked to meet me there. I remember dancing (I can’t dance I will admit) but mostly I remember taking care of 6 shots and 1 double shot of my boy Jose. In less than two hours I had 8 drinks, something I hadn’t done since I was 23. I had a blast and wasn’t completely drunk (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it), I felt like I had felt when I was 23.

Saturday morning I realized I was not 23 anymore. I woke up still feeling drunk (don’t understand it because I wasn’t drunk the night before. Once again, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it), head hurting and sick to my stomach. My body did not snap back like it did during my heavy club and drinking days. I used to drink 4 drinks before I got to the club and another 4 or 5 drinks at the club and be able to repeat the next day with no problem. Now my body was telling me when to stop. I tried to lay down and enjoy a movie with ‘A’ but my lungs wouldn’t let that happen. Now after a night of drinking, my lungs feel like they are filled with fluids and laying down is not an option. Friday I was in the mindset of an early twenty year old college student, but Saturday was my wake up call. I can no longer do the things I did when I was younger.

But with age comes maturity and new talents. After leaving Fuzzy’s underwear party earlier than maybe he liked we went back to our hotel room. To be honest my body was still a little weak and I really didn’t want to stay long at the party, but ‘A’ wasn’t in a rush to leave so we stayed a half hour longer than I had planned. ‘A’ and I had planned on spending some quality time alone, but once we got into the room we both collapsed. We were beat. The early twenties Jay would have fallen asleep, but the mid twenties Jay had just enough in the tank to enjoy himself. I was in the mood to eat and that’s what I did. I will not go into details but we definitely went to sleep after everything was said and done.

So age is not a state of mind but a stated fact. One thing we all are blessed with is the ability to adapt. Our bodies can adapt so we can continue to pretend to be in our early twenties. Yes, I’m 26 years old, I’m going to try to continue to mature, but my youth is not lost. I can still do the things I did when I was young, just differently now.

5 Comments:

  • Well, what the hell is wrong with me? I drink more, curse more, and party more than I have my whole life. I don't your problem is your age. I think that it may be that you don't have a reason to stay out like that. You have "A". Why stay at the club? You rather be alone with him and that is where your heart is. Otherwise maybe you would have stayed out later.

    By Blogger Ty, at 1:55 PM  

  • You are what you eat, or in this case drink! just slow down a lil on the drinks and I dont see why you wont be able to feel like you did when you were 15!. Do everything in moderation...

    By Blogger fuzzy, at 11:58 AM  

  • SEE! This is the exact reason my azz don't drink, lol! AND... I was still dropping it like it was hot [more like luke warm] but u get the picture!

    Welcome to the Dark side, Ha Ha Ha Ha!

    By Blogger ShawnQt, at 7:31 AM  

  • Do the damn thing! It's all in your head (lol). The great thing about life is that no matter how old you become the party never stops. Even when you are too old to move allow the party and dance continue in your heart.

    Happy Birthday Dapper Jay !!

    By Blogger Motionphics, at 10:36 PM  

  • Your just an Old Drunk! I have membership cards. Stop fronting and just ask for one! Playing these damn games.

    By Blogger His Daily Variety, at 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home