Jay's Distorted World

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Story of Us

one of my favorite movies of all-time is coming on lifetime this Thursday at 9 pm eastern time, The Story of Us. Yes, it can be described as a chick flick but it really has shaped me as a person and how I go about my daily interactions. Let me start by briefly explaining the movie. The movie is about a married couple on the verge of a divorce, who finally see the other's point of view in every argument that was had leading up to their separation. No, they do not go back in time nor do they switch bodies or anything, just something in their respective lives forces them to reflect.

For me, that is what life and relationship is...seeing passed my own feelings, values, bias and trying to understand exactly where the other person is coming from. How many of us have had arguments/falling outs with someone that we love or are special to us (this can simply mean a friend) but we never truly hear or understand where the other person is coming from? So caught up in trying to be right, trying to convey a sense of pain, hurt or lose that we can't see the other person's point of view? So, to my readers, I ask this task of you. Take a moment, away from the constant chatter of others, and look at a situation where you may have hurt someone you loved, ended a friendship or simply the last argument you had, put your bias aside and try to view this situation solely from the prospective of the other person. Try to see and understand the situation through their eyes and try to understand why they said what they said, did what they did. After doing this, see if you owe someone an apology, see if the situation could have been handled differently. This may be hard task for some of us because we see every interaction as a debate and just need to argue. Only can see that when we argue that one person is right and the other is wrong, not simply that we both can be right (or wrong) but just viewed at different spectrum it seems different.

I try to live my life this way, I'm still a work in progress and is probably the reason I can apologize sincerely now. Time for work, hope all of you have a great day.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home